Updated public information at:
The Town of Barnstable is updating its Local Comprehensive Plan (LCP). The LCP will set out a vision for growth and development, land use, infrastructure, and resource protection for this distinctive community and its seven villages, as well as a targeted action plan to guide the Town’s future work and resource allocation.
The LCP’s development will be steered by a Local Comprehensive Planning Committee (LCPC). The purpose of the Committee is to better facilitate and communicate the planning process, and engage the greater community in the planning effort.
The Town is seeking volunteer members for this important committee.
Selected members will be asked to participate in a two-phase process that will take place over the next two years, with regular meetings (virtual and/or in-person) with the Committee and the community. A committee member should expect to commit to a minimum of monthly evening meetings during that time. The Committee will be responsible for establishing the planning process, including the public engagement plan, and developing and recommending a draft Local Comprehensive Plan to the Town Council. The Committee will be supported by Town staff and an outside planning consultant, as directed by the Town Manager.
To be considered for the Local Comprehensive Planning Committee please complete the application found here:
Please complete the application online at the Barnstable Local Comprehensive Plan website and email it to BarnstableLCP@town.barnstable.ma.us; or print and return to the Town Manager’s Office at 367 Main Street, Hyannis by the end of business on February 21, 2022.
Applications can also be found at each of the seven village libraries, the Hyannis Youth and Community Center, and the Barnstable Adult Community Center.
The Committee shall be constituted and appointed by the Town Manager. Due to the importance and far-reaching impacts of the work to be undertaken by the Committee, the Town Manager will request that all appointments to the Committee be ratified by the Town Council.
The following will be considered when selecting appointees:
- The Committee shall include residents from each and all of Barnstable’s seven villages.
- In addition to No. 1 above, resident representation from Boards/Committees/Commissions, including but not limited to the following will be prioritized:
- Planning Board
- Conservation Commission
- Historical Commission/Old Kings Highway/Hyannis Historic
- Housing Committee
- Board of Health
- School Committee
- Airport Commission
- Zoning Board of Appeals
- Youth Commission
Should representatives from any of the above-stated Boards/Committees/Commissions not be identified, consideration shall be given to appointing residents (in addition to No. 1 above) with subject matter expertise in a similar field.
- The committee should include a resident who represents the Town of Barnstable business community.
- Subject matter expertise or experience, which may include professional or volunteer background, in priority issue areas, including land use, transportation, water quality, public infrastructure, housing, economic development, environmental protection, historic preservation, climate change, public health is preferable.
- The committee should include representation of the various demographic groups present in the Town of Barnstable.
Please direct questions to BarnstableLCP@town.barnstable.ma.us with LCP Committee in the subject line.