Town Manager Mark Ells presented his Town Manager Communications for the period of November 18-December 1, 2022:
- Elizabeth Jenkins, Director of Planning and Development, provided an update on Barnstable’s Local Comprehensive Plan. Director Jenkins’ presentation can be viewed here.
- We are proceeding with the Budget Action Calendar for FY 2024. The FY 2024 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) submissions were due on November 7, 2022 with a staff review of the proposed CIP projects conducted on November 28, 2022 as per the Budget Action Calendar. A public hearing was held on November 15, 2022 at 11:00 AM for proposed changes to various Town of Barnstable permit and programs fees that take effect on January 1, 2023 as well as on a proposed taxi meter rate increase for taxis licensed to operate within the Town of Barnstable effective January 1, 2023. The hearing can be viewed on the Town of Barnstable’s website. We will continue to take public comments through December 14, 2022. Information regarding the proposed changes are available on the Town Manager’s page of the Town of Barnstable’s website at www.townofbarnstable.us. For information on our fiscal year budgets, please view the Town’s Open Budget website at http://budget.townofbarnstable.us.
- On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 2:00 PM Housing & Economic Development Secretary Mike Kennealy will be visiting Barnstable Town Hall for a celebration of this year’s Community Planning grant award recipients included in this year’s round of the Community One Stop for Growth. I have been asked to join Sec. Kennealy in the program as the Town is a grant recipient.
- On June 1, 2022, the Town of Barnstable was informed of regulatory revisions the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) was developing to ensure that timely actions are taken to restore and protect coastal estuaries that have been impacted by excessive nitrogen pollution. MassDEP will conduct three public hearings one of which will be an in-person and remote hearing at Barnstable Town Hall, 367 Main Street, Hyannis, MA on December 5, 2022 at 6:00 PM. Comments on the proposed revisions may be presented orally at the public hearing. You can find additional information regarding the public hearings at https://www.mass.gov/doc/310-cmr-15000-314-cmr-2100-public-hearing-notice/download. We have also been provided with the following links to proposed changes to the regulation.
310 CMR 15.000: Septic Systems (“Title 5”) | Mass.gov 314 CMR 21.00: Watershed Permit Regulations | Mass.gov. On November 30, 2022 staff and the Board of Health Chairman met to discuss the proposed changes to Title 5 and agreed to prepare a unified written comment on said changes. It was also agreed that the Town Manager would present oral testimony on December 5, 2022 and the final written comments would reflect that testimony and any additional comments following the scheduled MassDEP hearing. Written comments are due by December 16, 2022. We will keep you advised as these important regulatory revisions progress.
- We continue review of permits filed with regulatory agencies regarding the proposed Phase 3 (Commonwealth Wind) landing of cable in Barnstable. On September 30, 2022 Commonwealth Wind proceeded with filing an Environmental Notification Form (ENF) and supporting documents to the Massachusetts Environmental Protection Agency office (MEPA) of the Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs. On November 28, 2022 we submitted written comments (due by 11/29/2022) on the ENF filed with MEPA.(attached) The document link below is to the form and various attachments, including attachment A, which is a narrative describing the project and the rationale for various siting and design considerations, including the landing and the route. https://avangridrenewables.box.com/s/vwftpvf703ivpauz34yoadvimq8g8lbu Link to MEPA website for review of comments is: https://eeaonline.eea.state.ma.us/EEA/MEPA-eMonitor/home We will keep you advised of our progress on this matter.
- The twenty-eighth session of Inside Barnstable Town Government, A Citizens Leadership Academy will begin Tuesday, January 24, 2023. The academy is a 12-week commitment with the goal of educating the citizens of Barnstable about the operations of town government, while also obtaining valuable feedback and participation from those citizens participating in the Academy. The program is designed to advance understanding of and participation in civic affairs as well as to increase awareness of the challenges facing municipal government. Inside Barnstable Town Government began in 2003. To date, over 800 Barnstable residents and employees have participated in the program. The classes will be on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-9:00 PM and will be held in various locations throughout the Town. The classes will be conducted by Town staff and provide interactive learning experiences, group discussions, and site tours. The program is free of charge and open to anyone who resides or works in the Town of Barnstable. Class size is limited so please register early to avoid the waiting list. Applications are available at the Town Manager’s Office, 367 Main Street, Hyannis or online at http://www.townofbarnstable.us/TownManager/citizensacadapp.pdf. To receive an application by mail or fax, please call 508-862-4610. For specific information, you may call Academy facilitators Susan French at 508-362-2864 or Deb Brunelle at 508-648-5936.