The June School Committee meeting kicked off with two Highlights in Education: Recognition of the Advanced Studies and Leadership Program (ASLP) students and the National Latin and Greek Exam Award recipients. The ASLP is open to students in grades 7 and 8 and they are invited to attend a 10-day long experience this summer. This past March, approximately 100 BPS Latin students took the National Latin Exam and a number of students won some sort of recognition for their performance. Four members of the Latin program also took the National Greek Exam and received awards because of their performance. Last, over 300 Latin and Greek students from Massachusetts participated in the Mass Junior Classical League State Convention. Students took home prizes in various categories including academics, artistic, and athletics.
During her Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Mayo-Brown announced new administrators joining Barnstable Public Schools in July:
- Jason Conetta – Principal of Barnstable Intermediate School
- Dr. Wendy Hess – Principals of West Villages Elementary School
- Kim White – Principal of Centerville Elementary School
- Steven Sentes – Athletic Director
Other highlights from the meeting:
- Chief Alex Barros spoke to the Committee about the Navy Junior ROTC program. Barnstable High School is looking to see if there is interest among the students for a Junior ROTC program.
- The School Committee voted to approve a contract to a new food services management company: The Abbey Group.
- The School Committee approved the three Barnstable Teachers Association contracts that were previously ratified by the union.
- The School Committee voted to have their meetings begin at 5:30pm starting with their July 20th School Committee meeting.
This School Committee was Superintendent Dr. Meg Mayo-Brown’s final School Committee meeting. She will be retiring on June 30th after six years in Barnstable and 36 years in education. During public comment and the School Committee comments, she was recognized for her work in education and at Barnstable Public Schools. We wish her the best in her retirement.