Happy New School Year!
The September School Committee Meeting started with an introduction of the 14 new Administrators in Barnstable Public Schools including:
● Mr. Jason Conetta, Principal, Barnstable Intermediate School
● Dr. Wendy Hesse, Principal, West Villages Elementary School
● Ms. Kim White, Principal, Centerville Elementary School
● Mr. Brendan Case, Dean, Barnstable High School
● Mr. Michael Ferreira, Assistant Principal, Barnstable Intermediate
● Ms. Karen Murphy, Assistant Principal, Barnstable United Elem.
● Ms. Pamela Regan, Dean, Barnstable High School
● Mr. Dave Nugent, Director, SMALL Program at Barnstable High School
● Mr. Steven Sentes, Athletic Director, Barnstable High School
● Ms. Ellen McLaughlin, Special Education Coordinator, Enoch Cobb Early Learning Center
● Ms. Vanessa Pyy, PE/Health Department Head, Barnstable High School
● Ms. Meghan Swanson, K-7 Art Department Head
● Mr. Andrew Vince, Curriculum Coordinator: History, Social Sciences and Business, Gr. 6-12
● Ms. Marcia Wytrwal, Gr. 6-12 Music Department Head
Retired Barnstable Public School Educator, Richard Galbraith, spoke about his time working for the district and the students he worked with. He generously donated $1 million to Barnstable Public Schools to be spent over at least 5 years on ELL students and programs. Thank you, Mr. Galbraith, for your generosity!
In her Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Sara Ahern, thanked the Enoch Cobb Trust Fund for sponsoring the opening day Convocation Breakfast for the staff on August 29. After enjoying breakfast, there was an all-district meeting in the Performing Arts Center at Barnstable High School, then the teachers and staff were able to meet in their own buildings and started to prepare their schools and classrooms for the first day of school on August 31. Dr. Ahern greeted students the first week of school and she was happy to see their smiling faces. In the Assistant Superintendent’s Report, Kristen Harmon spoke about the 3-day new teacher orientation the week before school started with 49 new teachers in attendance. There was also a 1-day orientation for the 14 new administrators in the district that same week.
The School Committee approved signing bonuses for bus drivers. Training is available for those without a CDL license. Please contact Sandy Gifford, Director of Transportation, if you are interested in being a bus driver for the Barnstable Public Schools: Gifford_sandy@mybps.us or 508-790-6478 x. 1240.
Director of Facilities, Mike Lambros, gave an overview of the current Capital Improvement Projects his department is currently working on including:
*BHS and BIS rooftop ventilators replacement *BHS Synthetic Turf Replacement/Track
*Portables BCIS/HyWest *BPS Door/Window Replacement
*BPS Generator Repair/Install *BHS Tennis Court
*Fuel Pump/Lift Repair *Campus Wide Paving
*BPS Mechanical Upgrades *Floor Replacements
At the October School Committee Meeting, Mr. Lambros will discuss the Capital Improvement Projects for FY’24 to be approved by the School Committee before being sent to the Town’s review committee.