The October 13, 2022 Special Meeting of the Barnstable Town Council was conducted remotely. The public was able to view the meeting on Barnstable Government Access Channel 18, live stream through the Town website or through Zoom. Town Council President Matthew Levesque opened the meeting inviting Town Council Administrator Cynthia Lovell to take the Roll Call. Town Councilor Jeffrey Mendes led the Pledge of Allegiance. Town Council Vice President Paula Schnepp introduced Sophie Carrillo-Mandel pf the Consensus Building Institute (CBI) who facilitated the Strategic Planning Session.
The purpose of the Special Meeting was:
• To ground the Town Councilors in a thorough understanding of the Barnstable Strategic Plan, its purpose, how it is currently used, and how it may be used in the future.
• To preliminarily prepare the Councilors for a broader assessment and revision of the Plan intended for 2023.
• To capture any high-level feedback about essential areas of improvement for the plan, to be documented and integrated into the 2023 planning.
The Agenda Schedule was as follows:
- Welcome, introductions, review agenda and objectives
- Overview of 2021-2022 Strategic Plan (Town Manager Mark Ells)
- Review of Priority Areas (Town Manager and staff)
- Economic Development
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Regulatory Process and Performance
- Public Health and Safety
- Town Infrastructure & Assets
This was followed by topics to address before/in next stage Strategic Planning and Next Steps which were outlined by Vice President Schnepp. Town Manager Ells talked about the creation of the Fiscal Year 2024 budget which will follow the current Town Council Strategic Plan. The next regularly scheduled Town Council Meeting will be held on Thursday, October 20, 2022. The public is able to view through Comcast Channel 18 or Live Streaming on the Town of Barnstable’s website. Real-time public comment may be addressed to the Barnstable Town Council utilizing the Zoom video link or telephone number and access meeting code which will be included on the Agenda. Written Comments may be submitted to: https://tobweb.town.barnstable.ma.us/boardscommittees/towncouncil/Town_Council/Agenda-Comment.asp. The meeting Agenda will be available on the Town of Barnstable’s website (www.townofbarnstable.us).