HYANNIS, MA – The Town of Barnstable Planning and Development Department (PDD) is accepting proposals for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program. CDBG is a federally-funded program from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that provides affordable housing, economic opportunities, and a suitable living environment to low and moderate-income residents. Please note, translated versions of this NOFA are available upon request to the Planning
and Development Department.
The Town is receiving federal funds for the 2022 CDBG program year (7/1/2022 – 6/30/2023) in the amount of $307,675. These funds, plus carryover funds in the amount of $654,256.81 (2019-2021), can be used for eligible projects that benefit income-eligible residents in the Town of Barnstable. Funds for public service activities are limited to 15% of the yearly allocation.
Projects must address at least one of the 2020-2025 Five-Year Consolidated Plan goals and either:
- Create or preserve decent, affordable housing units for rent or homeownership;
- Create or retain jobs or economic opportunities for low and moderate-income persons;
- Provide public improvements to facilities or infrastructure, and other public improvements; or
- Provide social services to low and moderate-income persons and special needs populations.
The Town has available CDBG-CV funds totaling $297,191.68 to prepare, prevent, or recover from COVID-19. Please note the CARES Act waived the 15% cap for these funds to support public service activities that address COVID-19. Projects must be consistent with 5 year Consolidated Plan goals and are subject to the Stafford Act, prohibiting duplication of benefits.
*The Town of Barnstable is not covering administrative costs for awarded applicants, only program related costs.
Preferences may be given to the following:
- Activities to assist with COVID-19 recovery efforts;
- Public services serving a limited clientele (LMC) population, including at-risk youth, abused children, domestic violence victims, the elderly, the homeless, persons living with AIDS, and other vulnerable populations;
- Microenterprise or small business assistance to create or retain jobs and economic
opportunities for low and moderate-income persons (LMI);
- Eligible services to support, stabilize, and revitalize the Downtown Hyannis Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy Area (NRSA);
- Activities addressing needs reported by Barnstable County Health and Human Services, the Barnstable Human Services Committee, the Area Agency on Aging, the Cape Cod & Islands Community Health Network Area, and other entities serving low-income, vulnerable, and underserved populations;
- Activities that create, preserve, or maintain affordable housing in the Town of Barnstable, including eligible rehabilitation activities;
- Applicants that agree to and demonstrate an ability to collect/maintain income documentation where applicable;
- Applicants that agree to construction and rehabilitation completion dates of 6/30/2023; and
- Applicants that demonstrate the ability to meet timely expenditure requirements and quarterly reporting requirements per HUD regulations.
Submission Instructions: The CDBG Pre-Application and Guidebook are available on the Town website: www.townofbarnstable.us/CDBG. Please complete and submit the pre-application by 5 pm on September 12, 2022. Please complete the pre-application before the CDBG application. If you have trouble accessing the pre-application, please email or call the PDD.
Contact Information: Elizabeth Jenkins, Director of Planning & Development:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 508-862-4678, TDD# 508-790-8901