The Town of Barnstable Planning and Development Department (PDD) is accepting proposals for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program. CDBG is a federally funded program from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that provides affordable housing, economic opportunities, and a suitable living environment to low and moderate-income residents.
The Town is anticipating additional reprogrammed funds for the 2021 CDBG program year (7/1/2021 – 6/30/2022) in the amount of $184,000, in addition to the regular 2021 program year allocation of $316,233.
Projects must address at least one of the 2020-2025 5-Year Consolidated Plan goals and either:
- Create or preserve decent, affordable housing units for rent or homeownership;
- Create or retain jobs or economic opportunities for low and moderate-income persons;
- Create public improvements to facilities or infrastructure and other public improvements; or
- Provide services to low and moderate-income persons and special needs populations.
Preferences may be given to the following:
- Activities to assist in the recovery efforts following COVID-19.
- Public services assisting/serving a limited clientele population, including at-risk youth, the elderly, the homeless, and other vulnerable populations.
- Micro-enterprise or small business assistance to retain or create jobs, or economic opportunities for low and moderate-income persons (LMI).
- Eligible services to support and stabilize the downtown Hyannis Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy Area (NRSA). Eligible activities should stabilize the neighborhood.
- Activities, projects, or organizations addressing critical needs reported by Barnstable County Health and Human Services, the Barnstable Human Services Committee, the Council on Aging, local hospitals, and other entities serving low-income, vulnerable, and underserved populations.
- Activities that create, preserve, or maintain affordable housing in the Town of Barnstable, including eligible rehabilitation activities.
- Applicants that agree to and demonstrate an ability to collect/maintain income documentation when applicable.
- Applicants that demonstrate the ability to meet timely expenditure requirements and regular reporting requirements per HUD regulations.
*Please note that the Town of Barnstable is not covering administrative costs for awarded applicants, only program-related costs.
Submission Instructions: The CDBG Pre-Application and Guidebook are available on the Town website: www.townofbarnstable.us/CDBG. Please complete and submit the pre-application by 5pm on December 15, 2021. Please complete the pre-application before the CDBG application. If you are having trouble accessing the pre-application, please email or call the PDD.
Contact Information: Elizabeth Jenkins, Director of Planning & Development: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the office directly at 508-862-4678.
TOWN OF BARNSTABLE
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM
NOTICE OF DOCUMENT AVAILABILITY, PUBLIC MEETING AND
PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
The Town has completed two substantial amendments to the 2019 Annual Action Plan for the Community Development Block Grant program for the period of July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020, and the 2021 Annual Action Plan for the Community Development Block Grant program for the period of July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022. The 2019 substantial amendment to the Action Plan pertains to CARES Act funds, which are available through 2026 to assist in COVID-19 recovery efforts. The Town was awarded $682,259.00 in federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in 2020 to prevent, prepare for and respond to coronavirus, and was awarded $316,233 for program year 2021 to address the goals and objectives in the Town of Barnstable’s 2020 – 2025 Consolidated Plan. The substantial amendments are required reports that outline changes regarding the usage of funds, shift in priorities, fund reprogramming, etc. of the Town’s CDBG program and are available for review and comment before the Town submits them for HUD approval.
The draft Substantial Amendments will be available for review as of Monday, November 22, 2021, on the Town website: https://www.townofbarnstable.us/CDBG or in the Planning & Development Department (PDD), 367 Main Street, 3rd Floor, Hyannis, MA 02601 between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. One may also contact Elizabeth Jenkins by emailing email@example.com or call the Planning and Development Department at 508-862-4678.
The public is invited to participate in a virtual public meeting on the Substantial Amendments on Monday, November 29, 2021 at 12:00 pm via interactive online webinar. To join the Zoom meeting please click or copy the following link: https://zoom.us/j/98942549417 or you can join by calling +1 888-475-4499 US. The meeting ID is 989 4254 9417.
Comments received in the meeting will be summarized in the final submission to HUD. Anyone unable to attend the meeting may submit written comments to the PDD office at the address or email below.
PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
Written comments received on or before January 6, 2021 will be included in the final submission to HUD. Please submit written comments to:
Planning & Development Dept.
367 Main Street, 3rd Floor
Hyannis, MA 02601
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org with “CDBG Comments” as the subject line.
CONTACT INFORMATION: Elizabeth Jenkins, Planning & Development Dept., 367 Main Street, 3rd Floor, Hyannis, MA 02601. Phone: 508-862-4678, TDD# 508-790-8901